Saturday, May 1, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

One year ago today, Kathy and I were on a plane, anxious to get to Hanoi, even more anxious to finally meet the little girl who would become my daughter. I remember thinking how lucky I was to be able to have this opportunity to have a daughter in my life. I had no idea how truly blessed I would be. Macy has enriched my life beyond my wildest dreams. I had no idea of the fun that we would be able to have, including this recent trip back to Vietnam. We have been able to explore HCMC and a few surrounding areas. We spent 5 relaxing days with Kathy at a resort in Nha Trang, relaxing by the pool and and on the beach as we gazed at the South China Sea. (Kathy's husband and son went to Angkor Wat in Cambodia) I actually drove a motorbike here in HCMC without falling off and hurting myself. Tonight is our last night in this wonderful country. We leave tomorrow night, May 2 at 11pm. Last year, in the early wee hours of May 2, I arrived in this country, eager to begin the next stage in my life. This year, as I was last year, I am sad to leave. I know we must go home, but I am sad to leave this wonderful, beautiful, lush, tropical place that allowed me to have a Forever Family with my wonderful Macy. What a Difference a Year can Make.


Just a few shots of our trip

The Beach in Nha Trang



Bamboo along the Saigon Rivers edge


A Day at the HCMC Zoo


A fun day with Macy

4 comments:

B said...

I hope your journey was uneventful...

Randi said...

Ellie....I wish I had read your blog sooner. How exciting that you are in Vietnam! That is so wonderful!

I hope we can plan for a reunion this summer. Happy Anniversary.

Randi and Sadie xo

Catherine said...

How neat that it's all happrning around the same dates! Truly our hearts didn't know how deep love could truly grow! Happy 1 year together!

Unknown said...

I think its interesting that I finally get around to reading your blog as I'm about to wind down my last few months in this country. As you know, for a number of reasons, we're leaving Vietnam. I'm so glad I read your descriptions of the country - because you are SO right. This country is lush and beautiful and tropical, but the BEST thing about this country for me is how it brought us Macy. I have a lot of feelings about this country, but one of the overwhelming feelings is gratitude! I am grateful! Macy has enriched all of our lives in ways we never dreamed! We are SO lucky to have in as part of our family!