Saturday, December 27, 2008

Connecting

My niece Samantha gets it. She is a wonderful young woman, and I love her, but I love her even more for getting it. The IT I am talking about is the need to connect with others in the International Adoption Community. As Samantha said tonight on the phone, she tries to understand all that I am going through as I wait for this next part of the adoption to happen, but she said she knows that only others that are going through or have gone through this before can really understand. She is correct. I was lucky tonight. I was able to connect in person with another Mom to be. One who will be travelling to Hanoi at the same time as I am to receive our children. We went for dinner and chatted for a few hours. It was wonderful. Just what I needed, someone who truly understands what I am going through. Yes this is a wonderful time in my life, but it's scary too. When a woman gets pregnant, 40 weeks later, give or take a few, the child is here. For me, it's been almost 3 years. Years of wondering if I am doing the right thing. Years of wondering if it will ever happen. Years of stressing over silly things. 2 years 7 months and 3 weeks of waiting to see my child's face. By the time I get to hold her it will be 3 years. Is this the right thing to do? My heart tells me yes. And most days my brain agrees.

2 comments:

OH MY #6 said...

And, what a Christmas you are going to have in 2009!

Merry Christmas my friend.

Lea
xo

Jules and Danny said...

I'm glad your niece gets it... having family that get that they can empathize, but that they don't actually understand the waiting is really important! I'm glad you got to meet someone who will be traveling with you! I'm curious... who did you get to meet?