Wednesday, April 29, 2009

One More Day

In a little less than 24 hrs from now, Kathy and I will be on our way. We will have been at the airport for a few hours, hopefully getting a chance to connect, even for a few minutes, with 2 other families also travelling to Vietnam to meet and adopt their daughters. I am sure there are many more things I could find to do here before tomorrow, but I am as ready as I am going to be.
As many of you know, my sister Kathy is traveling with me on this wonderful journey. I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am it worked out she can accompany me. She is my Rock. She has encouraged me each and every step of the way. When I was doubting my decision she even sent me a top ten list why I SHOULD do this.

This is a journey I started many months ago, so many months that it turned into over 3 years. When I started it seemed like such a solitary thing. I told no one until after I had attended the CB information session. Not even Kathy knew until after that long ago 1st session............... I worried about being a single parent and having to negotiate the world of International Adoption alone. As I sit here, on the Eve of my flight to adopt a precious daughter, I feel ashamed. Ashamed because I thought adopting as a single parent, would mean I was alone in my journey. I was so very wrong. I feel a bit sad that I underestimated the wonderful encouragement, support and help I have received from everyone. From my immediate family, (some who heard about the adoption each and every day, for 3 years, even across phone lines to Shanghai) to extended family, who heard about it from my immediate family, work friends,(I bored you each and every work day, on and on and on.) coworkers, and my long time friends, I have felt an outpouring of support. You have all been there with my elation (when things were moving along well) and stress (when at times it seems it would never happen) You have never failed to encourage me and lift my spirits. You will never know how important a role each and every one of you played. And the ones who have offered to babysit, rest assured I will take you up on it. The new friends I have made in the adoption world have been a blessing. These new friendships and connections have helped me through this amazing but long journey.

This is an emotional day for me. When I return home May 27, I will be accompanied by my then 10 1/2 month old daughter. This is the last night I will spend in my house and not be a mother. When I return, I will be Macy's mommy. Thank You EVERYONE for helping make this dream come true.

4 comments:

Paula said...

What a beautiful entry on the eve of your travels. I had a lump in my thoat while reading.
Ellie, I do hope we will get to meet upon your return.
I will be thinking of you and Macy. So happy your sister is travelling with you.

Jules and Danny said...

I am teary eyed! Safe Flight my friend!
jules

CWJanet said...

Aw, what a great entry ellie, you made me cry!
you never "bored"us with stories of being a Mom , or with stories of Macy...i am very happy for you and it must be hard to believe, when you come back, you will be a mom forever and ever!!! Looking forward to seeing pics of you two together!

CWJanet said...

Aww, this is wonderful Ellie, you made me cry!
it was never a "bore" to hear you talk odf being a Mom! or talk about Macy. can't wait to see her.