Sunday, May 17, 2009

Halong Bay and a Trip to the Orphanage

Halong Bay
Macy and One of her Nannies
Macy and Aunt Kathy
Macy and another of her Nannies

Our trip this past week to Halong Bay was just what we all needed. 4 of the 5 families were together for a 48 hr cruise around the Bay. We had the boat to ourselves. What a treat. We boarded, had a wonderful lunch, cruised a bit, explored caves, and then went for a relaxing swim. Dinner was again wonderful ( as were all the meals) The second day we were at a fishing village, we were able to see their school and chat with the children. We spend the rest of the day relaxing, swimming at 2 different private beaches, life was good. The final day we dropped one family of 5 and another person off at Cat Ba Island, where they stayed for a few days, before we headed back to the wharfe and headed to Hanoi. Along the way we explored a small Vietnamese Village. The village makes ceramic coffins (yes coffins) It seems the custom here is to bury the deceased in a pine box. After 3 years they dig them up, take the bones and put the bones into small ceramic boxes, then bury the ceramic coffin.(about the size of a regular small tool box ) We have learned so many things in the time we have been here and there is so much more to know. The entire trip to Halong was wonderful and we were all glad we decided on the 48 hr cruise as we all felt rested by the end. The scenery is out of this world, you feel like you are on another planet and being on a wooden junk was the another fun thing to do.

Today, Sunday we were fortunate to be given the opportunity to visit the orphanage. The day of the G&R we were not able to see anything or tour the grounds. We asked Dien for a chance to go again and today was the day. I wanted to go but I was also a bit hesitant. I was not sure of what to expect. Kathy and I had made the decision to go, but only I would go in, she would stay in the van with Macy. When we got there, we decided at the last minute to bring Macy. What a wonderful time we had. The Nannies were thrilled to see her, she was happy with them, but kept looking to me. The nannies loved on her, hugged her, kissed her, played with her and asked if I would send them pictures. I assured them I would send pictures with the next group to come. I am so glad we went. I now had a wonderful sense of how much she was loved. I know where she slept, played and lived. I have pictures to share with her if she should ever ask.

We were lucky enough to be able to gaze at the sweet faces of the babies that will be coming home to Canada in the near future, and they too are loved and cared for by wonderful nannies.

Tomorrow I expect to pick up Macy's Canadian passport, I am trying to teach her O Canada, but Kathy keeps laughing and tells me I have the words wrong, I guess I will have to brush up on that as well as learn childrens songs. We Will Rock You does not really count as a bedtime lullaby.

3 comments:

Jules and Danny said...

I'm so glad that you relaxed on your trip to Halong Bay and got to see so much. And, I am glad your trip back to the orphanage went so well for you and Macy. Danny and I are SO grateful for the pictures of our angel. And I am guessing the other two families are as excited are we are.
We will definitely bring back photos for you when we travel.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Jules

Jules and Danny said...

And say thanks to Kim and Ben too! I can't wait for y'all to get home!
Jules

Unknown said...

Hi! This is QY from Singapore! I came across this post and would like to know if its possible to give me the address for the orphanage in Halong? My friends and I would like to visit and spend a day with them :) Thank u so much! Looking forward to your reply!