Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Message to My Sister Ellie, With Love, From Kathy

I’ve written this blog many times in my head. I even wrote it once on the computer then couldn’t figure out how to post it (I found the old message and added it to the bottom of this message – it was dated Feb. 10th) – but now IS the time to share my thoughts – so, here goes. I figure that I’m already crying from reading the last posting Ellie made before we traveled, so I might as well try to get all the tears out at once. My biggest fear is that I’ll be so emotional on Monday and Tuesday that all of the pictures of our beautiful Macy and her new mom will be fuzzy – from me shaking as I sob through the meeting between my sister and her daughter and the Giving and Receiving Ceremony, where – at long last – her daughter will finally become a Woodhouse!

I’ve waited all of my adult life to stand beside my sister as she becomes a parent. I am SO honoured that she has invited me to be part of this with her. Those who know Ellie and I well, know that when we are together, we are often oblivious to everything around us. We connect – and the older we get, the more we realize how important the other is and how much alike we really are. Our values are similar, our outlook is similar and the way we over-react to situations is similar. I’m sure we drive others crazy at times, but together we stand united – that’s why, being asked to take these last steps to parenthood beside her is such a privilege.

I’m not sure we’d be able to find a better parent for Macy if we searched for a hundred years. My sister, as most of you know, is the most loving, giving person I know. I’m a better person because I’ve had her in my life since I was born. As I’ve watched her these last three years as she’s rode the highs and lows, I’ve often reflected on the similarities and differences between our two journeys to parenthood. Mine may have been a bit more traditional in its path, but her path is lined with wisdom, commitment and longing. Finally, the end of the longing is here – and so starts her wonderful life as a parent.

To my wonderful sister I say “Congrats! Enjoy every day because they really DO grow up too fast! Don’t sweat the small stuff; take the time to cuddle whenever possible – because there will come a time when you still want to cuddle and Macy will think she’s too big for that and finally, know that even though I’m half a world away sometimes, I’m ALWAYS there for you!!!! I love you more than I can ever tell you!”

All my love, Kathy


Blog Posting: February 10th, 2009 – lost in the bowels of my computer until today!

As I read through the postings Ellie is making in her blog, my heart fills with love, admiration and joy!

It's been a long time... a long time of her supporting me in my parenting role, of her listening to my worries about my children - both medical and otherwise and it feels so good to feel like I can finally give back.

I love watching her as she gathers up bits and pieces for Macy. I remember those nesting instincts - just before our family started. Ellie's family is growing in a slightly different fashion, but it IS growing to include Macy and I love watching the frenzied anxiety that's common just before the baby arrives. The fact that she's sharing this with me is again another reason why I love her so much.

I've waited all my adult life to watch this and I have to tell you, I'm SO thrilled! Macy is a VERY lucky girl as I'm sure that Ellie will take on her new role as mother as she has done EVERYTHING in her life - with determination, with understanding and with a deep sense of love and commitment.

All my love,

Your sister Kathy

1 comment:

Natalie said...

You almost made me cry! What a beautiful post.